The Meta company, until recently known as Facebook, released Seamless M4T in mid-2023, an artificial intelligence that translates text and speech into over 100 languages in real time. It is important to keep in mind that Seamless M4T is not a program that you will install on your computer, but the idea is for it to be used in other programs, so that it enables fast and easy translation of both text and speech.
Seamless M4T offers a range of functionalities, including:
- Speech to Text: Converts spoken words into text
- Text to Speech: Converts written text into spoken language
- Speech to Text translation: Translates spoken language into text
- Speech to Speech translation: Translating spoken language into another language
- Text to Text translation: Translates written text from one language to another
One of the best features of Seamless M4T is that it covers a wide range of translation tasks as well as the languages it supports. This means that it can be used for all kinds of translations, which, at least in the words of authors, will allow better connectivity among users on the Internet.
Honestly, developing a program like this is something we have been expecting from artificial intelligence, and we’re glad this technology is finally here. If everything goes as they say in Meta, users will be able to chat or correspond, each in their own language, and AI will translate everything in the background and pronounce or write what is said, thus completely removing language barriers. We look forward to seeing how programs using this technology will perform.